"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

World Harmony Run 2005

Went for the World Harmony Run on Saturday morning with ct. Met the usual faces we come to expect at MR. Sukaimi, Phillip, Alex, just to name a few, but where's David? Was so looking forward to run with him.

NMP Eunice 'Wheel of Fortune' Olsen was there as the Guest-of-Honor. She didn't run though, but her very beautiful and sporty mum did. She was running ahead of us almost throughout the whole trail part. We only managed to overtake her towards the end. Way to go Ma'am!

We didn't continue running the 2nd leg as ct was already wheezing. I think she started off too fast, not giving her body enough time to warm up.

We followed some of the organizers down to the Ceylon Sports Club to wait for the runners while having our breakfast. We then ran with them for a short distance(?) to the Civil Service Club(?). It was getting pretty hot already.

After lunch and some rest, I didn't join them for the next few legs cos I was feeling a bit sick and drowsy. Slept in the mini-bus instead.

We decided to follow Phillip's plan to join them for the final leg of about 10km instead. Starting from the Sri Senpaga Vinayagar Temple at East Coast Road, via Nicoll Highway, all the way down to the Merlion at Esplanade Drive.

It was 3plus in the afternoon and the blazing sun was beating down on us like hell. I've never ran in this kind of condition for a long time since my army daze. I felt like puking blood! But I managed to pull through by keeping my pace at a comfortable level, slow and steady. Although my right hamstring started to tighten towards the last 200 metres or so after a series of stairs up and down. But at least my knees held up well, thanks to the knee sleeves I had on, I suppose.

Before this run, I was seriously contemplating to take part in this year's marathon. But now, I think I have to reconsider. I don't think my skinny legs can take it anymore! Guess I'll have to train and run more and see how it goes.

Next, looking forward to the Milk Run and the Olympics day run or sumthing like that...

some pix

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, how's your knee n hamstring so far? Remember to ice it often. Did you go to the site i mention, its www.pattstrap.com, they have one knee guard for runner's knee, menicus problem etc, a bit pricey but with my experience with their product the patt strap, i would rather spend a bit of money and buy their products to try. I have spoken to several runners over in the states and they gave very good feedback on the products. ---- Philip

veola said...

Knees feel abit weak descending stairs, but not as bad as in the past b4 i started using the knee sleeves.

But if I try to walk fast, can feel some pain in the hamstring. Guess I'll have to live with another one.

Anonymous said...

Hi kevin, would advise you to consult a sports doctor, either AH or CGH, they have very good sports doctor there. Give the knee braces over at the site i recommend a try, they have given hope to many runners who thought they can no longer run anymore. A marathon dream for this year is still possible, remember marathon is not about competting, its about running your own race. - philip

Run HappyFeet said...

Hi Kev,

I was away fishing in Malaysia n was back on Friday... The Harmony Run sounded funs, wished i hv joined u all. Glad to learn u r starting to run again n looking forward to run with u. take care of yr knee, ok. I hv registered for the Milk Run, c u there. Want 2 do HatYai Half Marathon Nature Run, 7th August? Keep Running.. Cheers.

veola said...

Hi David! Alright then, I'll see you at the Milk Run!

The Lonely Runner said...

i have added u in this blog: http://sgrunners.blogspot.com/ . check it out!

The Lonely Runner said...

hey kevin! thanks for the great support! dun forget to make some noise in http://p2.forumforfree.com/sgrunners.html