"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Days to Remember

Today is a good day to remember. Remember the messy looking girl I mentioned in an earlier post? Well, I've now known her for about 14 years or so now, and this is how I met her. Almost like a in a movie, if I may say so myself.

8 years ago on this very same day, we signed a contract. Something we thought would never happen. But somehow, things fell into place almost all by themselves, everything worked itself out. It is a very long story so it'll have to wait.

Since my CH is now loafing around waiting for her 2 year course to commence, she's actually trying to make herself useful by giving tuition and taking up some part-time job. Now she knows what working late till 11 plus and arriving home past midnight feels like. But I think it's good to experience as much in life as possible while we are still young and able, doing different things.

Let's see. Since my primary school days till now, I have grabbed every single chance that come my way to try out different jobs.

  1. Selling "mah piew poh!" in the evenings door to door in old HDB blocks
  2. Worked as your friendly neighbourhood newspaper delivery/payment-collector boy
  3. Worked in a furniture factory
  4. Waitering in Chang Jiang Shanghai Restaurant in Goodwood Park Hotel
  5. Waitering at the Poolside Steamboat Buffet Restaurant at Allson Hotel
  6. Worked at Toys'R'Us at Forum Galleria doing everything from housekeeping to cashiering
  7. Warehouse Store asistant at Motorola
  8. Data entry clerk
  9. A Pizza Hut Delivery Guy I was
  10. A short unsuccessful spell as a Part-time Insurance Agent
  11. A supervisor in a company manufacturing CDs
  12. My current job
Unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I have been slogging away at my present job for 7 years plus. As long as my CH is enjoying her favourite past-time of job hopping, how can I afford to do the same? I wish I have the resolve and boldness of someone like Mr.Miyagi to venture out to do my own thing.

One day, when I have no debts to settle and no bills to pay, I will probably join discovery channel or maybe those whacky guys at Greenpeace and lead a more dangerous life.

1 comment:

a2zee said...

i know this is an old post but i enjoyed it. going thru the odd jobs makes u interesting man. and hey we all done it... (i shall post one day 4 fun all the rubbish i done t00) inspired by this post of course.
but hey dont settle. or dont fall into a rut. i feel that the more we earn in a job we dont like, the more dependant we get on that money. and it gets harder and harder to move on or change.
i loathe having to be practical in terms of finance. why does money have to make the world go round? let's just survive on love... oh the eagle's way: love will keep us alive.
cheers, me in a sentimental griping mood