"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Friday, October 22, 2004

When Animals Attack


Yesterday, Cookie, a cat I gave to my sis Serene, was put to death, by my own decision.

"So what do you want to do with it?" The pet handler asked.
My heart almost stopped, but I had to make the call, I can't risk having such a powerful and unpredictable tomcat staying with 3 old folks anymore.

"Put it to sleep..."

Siti cried, my sis cried on the line when she heard it from me. But we all know it was inevitable.

Whatever happened took place so fast that I'm not sure if I got it all down correctly.

After ferrying my grandma and mum to the dentist, we decided to drop by their place for awhile. Cookie, as usual, greeted us with some whining and grumbling, as if to chide us for being away so long. We all know that he must have missed Serene, who got married and moved out about 6 months ago. I played with it for a few minutes before settling down to read the papers. Cookie then went over to Siti smell her feet, then her bermudas, then her blouse. We know he can pick up our own cat's scent coz Allie, my fat cat, has been sleeping on it for the past day or so. But this is not the first time so it's nothing unusual.

Siti and mum then decided to look at some stuff in Serene's vacated room. Next I know, Siti was calling out, Kevin Help! Kevin Help! Cookie is biting me!

I got up and walked over to the room, thinking that the cat is probably playing with her, but what I saw next shocked me.

My mum was running away from Cookie, after being badly scratched on the leg by him when she tried to stop it from biting Siti. The cat chased after my mum and pounced on her, clinging on to her right arm with it's razor sharp claws, scratching and biting her at the same time. She flung it to the floor in pain. Immediately, I tried to lift it up by the fold of skin behind it's neck and shoulders with my left hand, as this method is known to relax cats. But, apparently, this cat has forgotten how to relax. It spun around forcefully, biting and scratching my wrist, causing my grip on him to loosen. Then it pounced on me, this time clinging on to my right arm and sinking it's fangs into it. I now know that this is no longer the Cookie we knew and so loved, it has lost it's mind. I thought of flinging the cat out the 14th floor window but couldn't make myself do it, having watched it come out of it's mother's womb right up to this day, 7 years later, so instead, I just bit my lip and bear with the pain, grabbed it by it's torso, and pushed it, back first, into a pile of junk, at the same time shouting at Siti and mum to get out of the room.

At that moment, the cat went berserk, clawing away at my right hand viciously. The pain got to me again as I quickly released the cat. It jumped out of the rubble and started to approach me again. I told my mum to remain still as I retreated slowly out of the room with Siti behind me. I shut the door behind it so that my mum is isolated. But now I'm being cornered by it, every sound and movement from us was deemed threatening. My concern now is for my wife hiding behind me, and my grandma, cooking up a storm in the kitchen, oblivious to the severity of the situation. I tried shouting at her to unlock the door and gate and lock herself in her room but, being partially deaf, she couldn't hear me. I guess ignorance truly is bliss! She later saw us cowering in the corner and even tried making some noise and calling the cat! I used the universal hand signal to tell her to keep quiet and to shut herself in the room. But she didn't get it.


After about 15 minutes of standing motionless in the corner, Siti called 999 using her mobile. The operator must have thought we were joking, but she said a despatch is on the way anyway.

I then shouted at my grandma to switch off the TV, and then told her to leave the gates unlocked for the police and shut herself in the room. Hearing the word police finally made her realize that we were facing a dangerous beast now. She finally did as I said.

After another 15 minutes, the police finally arrived. 2 men in blue. I told them to grab a few big towels as they managed to distract the cat. Cookie then started to turn his attention to the newly arrived strangers and started to move slowly towards them. Quickly, I asked Siti to get in the room to find me a towel. She got me a big, quilted blanket. Even better. Slowly, we closed in on Cookie and cornered him into the toilet. The cop tried to capture the cat with the blanket but after about 15 minutes, they too gave up. Without the right equipment, it was just too strong and risky for us to do it safely.

After a few phone calls, I got a number from the SPCA, and they gave me the number to a guy named Francis, a professional pet-handler/problem-solver. He laughed at first upon hearing that the police were involved but said that he will be here anyway, with the proper equipment, I reminded him.

Half an hour later, this tall specky guy came, with a pvc pipe with nylon loops at both ends and a cage in his hands. According to him, he's been doing this for 15 years, so he should have seen it all.

The loop was slowly manoeuvred around Cookie, who was at this time screaming loudly at this new threat and pooing uncontrollably out of fear and desperation, and with a quick tug at the other end, choke-held the cat around it's neck. It's attempt to scratch the pvc pole and to break itself free were in vain. Francis quickly stuff the cat into the cage. It was over in about 5 minutes.

He said that in his 15 years, he's never seen a domesticated house cat gone so crazy like this. Must have been due to the pent-up sexual urge over the past 7 years, noting that it wasn't neutered. Maybe it's trying to protect it's owner's room from unfamiliar people with other cat's scent on our body. He said that this is a very dominant tomcat, judging from it's ferocity and its bulky and round head, and it will probably kill the other male strays in the neighbourhood had it been let loose. Then he asked me the dreaded question.

With a lump in my throat, I told him my painful decision, and said our last goodbyes to Cookie...

Damage assessment. I have mostly lacerated wounds mostly caused by the cat clinging onto my arm and tearing away with it's hind legs, plus a few puncture wounds from it's fangs. Some minor cuts and bruises on my legs and knees when I struggled to hold it down.

Mum was worse off. Cookie took a chunk of her skin off her arm, about the size of two 10 cent coins, and we can see the flesh and the fats from the gaping wound. Took 5 stitches to patch it up. Her right leg also has a few scratches about 5 to 8cm long.

$80 for Francis, $20 for SPCA to put Cookie to sleep, $135 for patching us up. But money was the last thing on my mind then... poor Cookie...

On my way back from the clinic, my car also ran over a bird. So I guess that's 2 lives I've ended now in just one day...

Rest in Peace, Cookie...

15 comments:

Miss B said...

Little wonder why they're cousins with the tigers!
How big is Cookie anyway? I'm imagining a house cat the size of a calf.

The Lonely Runner said...

sorry to hear this kevin. well, i am not sure wat happened with ur cat tho'. only knowthat cat will do such thing if they are felt threaten. hope your sis can cope well with this...

i love cats too, but never had one...

-sukaimi

veola said...

Bella: Among the 5 siblings, Cookie was the only one with the big round head that makes it look like a tomcat. Had it been as big as a calf, I would've been dead meat by now! :o

Sukaimi: ya, my guess is that, since it's not sterilized, the smell of another cat probably triggered it's territorial instincts. Plus, we were 'invading' into his master's bedroom, who hasn't been around for the past 6 months. It's a combination of factors really.

Last night, I still couldn't get the chain of events and Cookie's face out of my mind. Fell asleep thinking about him, and woke up thinking about him. I'm quite devastated with my own decision, but I have to give priority to the safety of my grandma and parents.

I hope we gave it a good life...

Marni said...

Had a cat who suddenly turned wild on me, too. Scratched me, my mom, and everyone else for no reason. They put it to death, too. I was a small kid at the time, cried for days over it.

veola said...

Midori: was the cat you mentioned kept in the house all the time or allowed to out to the streets freely? We suspect that it's because Cookie had too much sexual frustrations pent-up inside, causing it to loose control... my sis didn't dare send it for sterilization coz she lost Sylvia, Cookie's companion, when it was sent for the operation.

Mr Miyagi said...

He had a good life. Sorry about how it had to end.

veola said...

Suki: Yes, it's kinda scary indeed. You'll never realize how powerful and fearsome animals can turn into in a split second. But don't be put off by this one off incident. I still have 5 totally adorable cats at home, all neutered and quite a bundle of joy!

a2zee said...

heya. what a sad story. but here's the thing. i did some research online last time when i was deciding whether to neuter my first cat. and i found out that cats who go un-neutered esp. males go psycho after a while if they are kept from roaming around (and essentially finding females to mate with). google ard, u'l find the sites.
... i'm just glad u didn't throw cookie out the window.

zuzula said...

That's a horrific tale - hope your poor folks are OK. We had a wild cat that turned up in the garden when I was little - but looked just like our pet cat Tabatha. We only realised it wasn't her when it went for my dad's leg :( in the end we got the RSPCA round and they killed it. It was living in our shed and my folks were worried about us kids (we were small at the time) getting hurt. Still felt really rotten about it though.

veola said...

yeah folks, after this incident, I always think twice before approaching any stray cats, I try to avoid those that look remotely dominant or stressed. Their lightning reflexes and razor-sharp claws make them quite dangerous!

Monkey said...

Reading this, I felt really devastated. I had many cats myself but all of them were neutered and so they were all rather nice but all were ferrel strays once and I got bitten by them before and whatever it is... i know how heartbroken you must have been. its a really painful decision to have to put it to sleep, no matter how much it wasn't itself. the whole ordeal sounded really very tramautizing.

i hope all of you are well now.

veola said...

November - we are all rite, thanks. sorry, can't say too much, ... all I can say is, my physical suffering is nothing compared to the painful decision of ending poor Cookie's life. I still can't forget or forgive myself...

Anonymous said...

Reading this left my really sad and anrgy.
I can absolutely not comprehend why you had to put her to death. It is terrible that cats are killed because people don't no anything about their keeping and about their needs. You still could have had the cat sterilized. Or have brought her to a cat shelter.
Or ad least have brought her to a vet to find out what led to this incident!!!

Anonymous said...

mary or whoever posted that last comment. you dont know anything!! how do you know that this wont happen again? plus once you've experienced something like what these people have been through you might not want to get another cat in fear it might happen again. you had no right to say what you said because these people loved their cat very much and to say what you said to them might have made them feel worse than they already do. think about other people for once and how they feel. hope you guys get over cookie he sounded like a really good cat. dont worry about it not all animals are like that maybe it you get a new pet you can try again. well hope you are all alright.

veola said...

Hi Mary, I understand your anger and frustration. I wished it didn't have to turn out the way it did, but I had to make the call and put the safety of my family first. The viciousness of the attack meant that it'll be too dangerous for anyone else to get near him, too. I still love Cookie and think of him all the time, but I guess I'll just have to live with the painful fact that he's gone.