"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Transformers... more than meets the eye!

Went to watch Transformers Digital on Friday morning at Cathay Grand. To me, this is now THE theatre to catch major blockbusters with lots CG and sound effects. THX, unblocked view, comfortable seats, ambient temp just right, big hall, humongous screen. Simply the best! The digital version also allows better visuals with no signs of grain and ghosting in fast action scenes.

So how was the movie? Let's just say that ct sat thru the entire show without ever grabbing my watch and asking me her usual questions like, "is this an epic?", "how long is the show?", etc. In fact, she did not shuffle in her seat or talk to me at all! After the show, she was "transforming" here and there as we walked out the hall. And she's been asking for me to bring her watch the movie again! If my big kid loved it, your kids will love it, too! In short, it doesn't feel like you sat thru 2.5 hours worth of a show, that's how enjoyable it was.

(Skip this paragraph if you haven't watch it as there may be spoilers!!!) As for me, I think the movie is very well put together. When I hear that they decided on using Peter Cullen to act as the voice of Optimus Prime, I know the producers were at least trying to make a movie for all the long time fans. When I hear Prime's voice, it sends shivers down my spine! Optimus Prime is, and forever will be, the ultimate Transformer and the most revered Autobot. He may not be the most powerful, but his charisma and compassion makes him the most respected Autobot leader among all. The build-up before introducing all the robots was pretty cool as well. They didn't rush to bring out all the robots, and when they did turn up, WOW, I was almost in tears! One of the Autobots, I think either Jazz or Ratchet or Ironhide, was doing a "Freeze" in the middle of his transformation! I must also praise the script writers, for keeping to the real Transformers soul, where most Decepticons are generally more powerful than Autobots, and resist the typical Hollywood formula of the good guy usually being better. Here, you actually worry for the good guys as they literally got torn apart and blown into pieces! However, two things that I thought could have been done better is, some of the Transformers doesn't look as distinctive as I would like, making it difficult to differentiate who's who. Other than Prime and Bumblebee, and Blackout, Barricade, Frenzy, and Scorponok, the rest are pretty difficult to identify in fast paced action sequences. The second thing I don't quite like is... although the movie was pretty funny, there were just too much of cheesy jokes(the wacky parents) and slapstick(Agent Simmons, and Frenzy, who can be deadly, but was overused as comic relief and got cut up by a girl with a chainsaw!?!).

Regardless of the downside, I think they were very brave to take on this project, as, due to the broad spectrum in terms of different age group of the fans (I watched the original series as a kid, including when Prime was Orion Pax on Cybertron), from the original Gen1 to the Japanese anime styled Beastmasters series (with I totally abhorred), there are bound to be groups of fans who will not be happy with the way certain things are done. I think the producers did a fantastic job, good enough that I want to see more of Transformers! And Megan Fox! Oh mamamamaieee......

No comments: