"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Monday, February 14, 2005

NUS bi-relay prep

Been kinda busy lately, going back to swimming in preparation for the NUS Biathlon relay which I'm taking part together with Sukaimi. I am, of course, not running. My left ankle still keeps torturing me, but I hope swimming will keep my body in shape and my joints well oiled while waiting for my ankle and knees to recover.

Friday - did some sets with the dumbell, just some bicep curls and also worked the shoulders a bit.

Saturday morning - did some Hindu pushups and Hindu squats. These are extremely effective workouts that make full use of your own body weight to strengthen the various muscle groups. Much more effective than your normal pushups. But I didn't do too much of the squats as my knees still felt weak. For more info about Hindu pushup/squat and how they're done, see here.

Saturday evening - Went for a swim at the pool to get myself accustomed to swimming with aching muscles! Picking up the pace as I go.

Sunday morning - Went to Tanjung Beach at Sentosa with Sukaimi to do a dry run on the actual place. Of course, I didn't stay dry. I'm suppose to swim 2 rounds between the 2 breakwaters, each round giving me about 400 metres. I asked Sukaimi time me. The first round was kinda tough. As usual, I'm not much for warmups so all I did was put on my goggles and run into the water and dived straight in.

The water was pretty murky so I had to rely on landmarks to guide me, taking a quick look during the split second I turn my head to the right to breathe. But I soon found out that I was heading off course because I was swimming alongside the circumference of the breakwater, which is not straight. Instead of facing the 2nd breakwater, I was facing towards the open sea! I tried a few times to re-adjust my bearings but I still keep having the same problem. It's like I'm swimming in a zig-zag pattern!

So for the remainder of the 1st lap, I swam a modified version of the freestyle, kept my head above water all the time so I can see where I'm heading. My kneck and shoulders felt so tired. I'm no stranger to swimming in the sea, but, suddenly, the seawater had never tasted so salty before.

After the 1st round, 400 metres only, I was so very exhausted. Took me about 12 minutes. Not too bad I guess, for my 1st time, swimming in zig-zag pattern like a housefly without head.

But at least I know now the conditions which I will be swimming under. I completed the 2nd round in about the same timing, I think, all the while getting my self accustomed to the waves and the currents. I didn't kick much during my swim, I don't know why. I know that I need to kick well if I want to improve my timing, and to prevent overworking my upper body.

Sukaimi then went running, after ct had left first.

I rested for about half an hour, then put on my goggles and did another round. This time, although I'm already quite tired, it actually felt easier and less tiring. I just kept my focus on the swimming part, getting my strokes and kicks right, and just roughly used the sun and the landmarks as navigational guides. I still needed to adjust my bearings every now and then, but I'm not too worried about it this time round cos I know that there will be lane markings on that day and with so many swimmers doing it all at once, I only have to follow the splish-splash of the water. Just need to be careful about getting kicked in the face by the front swimmer.

I completed the 400 metres without feeling as breatheless as the first time round, and at a better and more consistent speed, too.

I'm just aiming to do below 30, so TLR don't have to run so hard to catch up!

No comments: