"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Burn some rubber, slowly but surely

I have been lazy. My posts are getting shorter and updates, less frequent. But working 5 nights straight can be quite tiring. But since I'll be free again tomorrow morning, I shall be a bit long winded here. (Well maybe not as much so as some of my fellow bloggers)

Tonight I'm covering for my colleague Wilson so he can go back to his home town and celebrate Christmas. I can't wait for my off days to come. The sun, sea, and sand are calling out to me! And I feel the need to run, badly!

I use to be the one who will go out for a run on a whim. Now, ct seems to have caught the running fever. She's been running, with or without my company, farther and farther each time. In fact, she runs very poorly when I'm with her, coz according to her, my presence gives her too much pressure! And her pace and stamina has improved by leaps and bounds.

Looking at her now, you'd never guess that she has asthma and used to 'run' like a granny with a hilarious 'baby step'.

Now? Boy, she's doing 10km ~ 12km runs on her own just coz she wants to! Although her pace is slower than mine, she is doing longer distances than I ever did, at a rather steady pace. I don't remember doing any 10km before... I think my furthest was about 8km.

Right now, she's preparing herself for the Ultrarun this coming Sunday. It's no chicken feat, you have to do so by first finishing what would be a marathon, it only becomes an ultra once you pass the 50km mark, according to Sukaimi.

This run is different, and better in a sense that you only run as much as you can, as fast or slow as you like to, within 12 hours. You can rest, eat, or drink when you feel like it. I wish I can join her, but I have to work on that day. Maybe it's a good thing, not having me around to pressure her. I'll support her in mind and in spirit!

I asked her how far she thinks she can cover in 12 hours? Her guesstimation based on her trial run yesterday morning is about 44km. But she's hoping to push herself a little bit more to hit the 50km mark. You get a free T-shirt and you would have just ran an ultra instead of 'just' a marathon! A mere 6km more, go go go!

So how did a sickly, pessimistic, asthmatic girl become so super in less than a year?

I believe the turning point was when she joined me in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge. Ever since then, she never looked back. I am so happy and so proud of her!

Now, I can't wait for the night to past. I need to hit the road, burn some rubber, and see how far I can go.

No comments: