"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Sunday, December 05, 2004

New Balance 900

Finally got the running shoe that I 'need' today, cos I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere.

After some swimming, sun and sand at Sentosa with CT & our little punk grrl, we went shoe hunting at Bugis Junction.

Adidas has a sale on with 30% off most items. But after trying out a few pairs of trail and road shoes, I find them all too snug, especially from the heel to midfoot area. Apparently, this is an Adidas trait, and, after googling around, the Running Times website did mention that Adidas shoes do have a narrower fit. I have a rather low arch- almost totally flat-footed, plus I over-pronate moderately, and just standing with those shoes on, I can already feel the arch support pushing hard against my feet. And, in a long or hard run, that means PAIN. That's just too bad cos they looked really nice plus I think they make the most well ventilated shoes, and with 30% off, they're a steal. Mmm, I wonder why is it that my Adidas ClimaCool Banshee Adventure shoes doesn't give me these problems.

So I moved on to World of Sports and finally tried out the New Balance 900. And man, what a difference in comfort! The shoe is very light, rather wide with a low center of gravity(which also means slightly less insole cushioning compared to the Adidas), the arch is not high like the Adidas yet gives just enough support and comfort, forefoot feels extremely flexible, and it comes with spongy 'sausage' like laces which looks nice and makes it difficult for the laces to loosen on its own. The dark blue, grey, white, and yellow also complement each other nicely. Bought them at $127, 30% off the list price. I'm very happy with my purchase. I'll be meeting Sukaimi tomorrow at McRitchie Reservoir to try them out. The route I'll be running is a mix of mud, gravel, and road, which I believe the not too conservative outsole tread pattern should cope well.

just what I needed is now mine, this is the exactly the colour I ended up with.
Here's an overview and some reviews.

Here's some other useful info I found at the Running Times Shoe Guide 2004 site.
Short reviews of the shoes I need and want.

Useful list of reviews and recommendations of Manufacturer and models based on pronation factor.

Road shoes vs Trail shoes explained.


No comments: