"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Monday, January 24, 2005

24hrs, 150km

the 24 hour run was a success. Many able bodied women and men joined TLR in various phases of the run.

We joined in for round 1 and stopped to put up a banner ct made near the Long Beach Seafood area for maximum exposure.

We then found the time to set up our tent and the bbq pit and went on to prepare the drinks and food. But around 2 plus or so in the morning(I lost track of time haha), when he decided it's time to eat, he asked for tapioca! Me and Pear were wondering where to find such things in the middle of early morning. I remembered seeing someone holding a cup of mashed potatoes when I was buying ice earlier in the night, so me and Pear went shopping at 7-11. But, alas, the machine churning out the stuff was all sold out and all we got was some miserable buns to go with the hot dog.

Philip ran his heart out and his knee started to give him problem. So I drove him back home to rest.

We then sent Pear and ct's niece back home in the morning and we took a shower and bought lunch for them. We told ourselves that we won't be running, but then we saw him quietly heading off for his 11th round on his own, we just couldn't tahan anymore, so ct and me started running after him, with the chicken rice still fresh in my tummy!

The great Peter Lim and the cool as cucumber German Chris soon joined us. Bravo to them, who already did so many rounds since morning but yet found the strength to run under the extremely hot noon sun. Thanks to people like them, TLR was never lonely throughout the run.

Too bad my knees was giving me too much pain to even jog properly, I did about 7km and simply couldn't go on anymore. But this 7km was one of the happiest 7km I've ever done.

Finally get to meet the faces behind the names like Chew, who ran with TLR even though he just pulled his back muscle the day before. 'Tahan', Pear, Philip, who made time out of their busy schedule to run with him. Peter, who kept going even when he's seeing stars and his special Titanium 'talisman' he lend to TLR. Carine, who ran in the night with a cardigan/sweater on! Chris, who, for an 'ang moh', is truly heroic to run even in the hottest part of the day. And many others, who's name I don't know.

TLR and FD's family, friends, and those who help made a difference (Husnah, Haris?, Zul & Co., Emily, the multi-lingual and smiley emcee whose name I didn't catch, the students of JJC and another school(?) who did all the dance and cheers.

For me, the most amazing thing is, TLR didn't sleep throughout this 24 hour (more if you consider the time he spent awake before and after the run). In fact, while I was driving him back to his place, he could barely keep his eyes open.

By the time he reached home, he could barely walk and keep his senses awake.

Very well done brother! Rest well now. You deserve it!

No comments: