"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Shut Up, Kevin!

Sometimes, I should've just kept my mouth shut, or my hands tied, in this case. In an email convo with Sukaimi, I mentioned in passing my affinity to swimming. Next I know, he was telling me that he needs a swimmer to join him in either a biathlon or triathlon relay event, closing the sentence with "can you kev?"

If you can see me now, you will probably think that I'm a flea infested ape or something. Cos my whole body is itching for such a challenge. And all the scratching in the world won't help.

Can I?

I can't answer that, yet.

But, shall I? Will I?

Yes! Yes!

I almost signed up for this year's event on my own, but thought better of it, cos I know my weakness is in running, and, without devoting any time at all into training, I am just lying to myself.

I used to swim almost everyday. Zero impact, whole body workout, no sweat, low cost. Just lovely.

And I had once cycled from Farrer Road (borrowed a friend's wobbly bicycle there) to West Coast Road to meet my friend Mansur, then together we pedalled over to East Coast Park for a BBQ party, then its back to West Coast with him, before riding alone back to Farrer again to return the bike. I cycled on the road with an unsteady bike, young, fearless, but foolish.

But comes to running, I've lost alot of my endurance. Even short distance, the best I could ever muster for 2.4km was in my NS Army BMT days, at 9mins21secs. Nowhere near good. Moreover, with my sore left toe and loose knees now, no way I can do it.

So now the ball is in my court. Registration closes in 2 days. Event takes place in 16 days time. Swim 800metres only. Sentosa some-more.

Can you Kev?

(just shut up and do it, kev)

5 comments:

The Lonely Runner said...

hey kev! haha! i am sure u can! definitely! if there is any upcoming biathlon or triathlon event i get in touch with you? so far, this year there is none. But next year, I am sure there are going to be a number of tri/bi races in singapore.

i am definitely not a goood swimmer! if i swim, i only dare to swim in pool, and if i swim in pool, i only know how to swim breast stroke. other than that, i only know doggy style! haha!

So what is the upcoming event that you are thinking of signing up?

Mr Miyagi said...

Carn, Kev, have a go!

veola said...

heheh, carn?

Ok, Suk, since even Mr.Rugby thinks it carn be done-ded, I'm sending u my contact number via email. Any relay, I am willing to take the swim/cycle leg, but I will still need to borrow some apek bicycle la.

ViXen said...

Then how about me?!! I also want!

veola said...

My dear wife, of course you'll be involved. In fact, you've been running more than I lately. Too much, in fact. Watch out for stress n strain!