"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Roadburners

Just made contact with one of the Roadburners, Sukaimi. Very humble guy, and in my book, that's Cool, with a capital C.

He invited me to join him on another 10km run, this time at MacRitchie Reservoir. Thank you, bro, but I'm not sure man.

Let's see. In the past few months or so, what have I (not) accomplished?

  • April: The JP Morgan run, I really pushed myself. A pity I forgot to time myself properly for the 5.6km run cos from the time the air-horn blared, I spent about 10 good minutes trying to get to the starting point proper. There were just too many 'fun walkers'. I guesstimated my time to be about 30 mins or so of running time. That's not too bad for 5.6km of hop-scotching and zig-zagging through those walkers, strolling abreast their friends and blocking the way of those serious runners. My hips and ankles felt like burning from all the lateral stress.
  • May: The New Paper Big Walk was much better. It was about 7km plus, down from the 10km or so due to the big hole at Nicol Highway. We completed it in about 45 to 50 mins, no jog or run, just very brisk walking. But my hips and ankles are still feeling abit sore from the JPM run, well at least my knee was ok.
  • Aug: Nike Run. Decided to give it a miss.
  • Sept: Terry Fox Run. I couldn't even make it. Work. At least I am represented by CT.
  • Sept: Sheares' Bridge Run and Army Half Marathon. Planned to run the 12km even though I know I'm working that night. At the 4km mark halfway up the slope of the highway, my knee, right instead of left, felt loose. Pain. Decided to run 5km only. The remaining 1km plus or so was the longest I ever took to do 1km. My body is weak, my mind, feeble. I have let my friends, family, and myself down. I almost felt like performing the harakiri.
  • Oct: Singapore-Johor 2nd link run. Signed up for it, but, damn, why must all the runs be organized on Sundays, which I work? If I were to take leave for each of these runs throughout the year, there won't be enough of them! So I decided to give it a miss again. Different event, same excuses. Work, poor conditioning, blah blah and blah.
So, you see, Sukaimi. Eager as I am to join you, I think I should follow my head and not rush into it. I plan to go back to more running during my days off, to build up my strength, endurance, and confidence again. And I must do it alone. I am my worst enemy, my greatest rival. I hope one day, I'll be good enough to join the roadburners.

3 comments:

Miss B said...

You're amazing, you know that? Anyone that can run more than 2.4 km without turning his legs into Jell-O is inhuman in my book.

veola said...

heh, u'd be surprised how many amazing inhumanoids we have on this planet Belle... they'll eat me for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, anytime!

The Lonely Runner said...

yeash....there even people who running all over the world.... check this out: http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/3708538.stm