"The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee 李小龙 (1940 - 1973)

Friday, October 08, 2004

Morning Rush

Slept at 3am and woke up at 6 this morning to a flurry of activities. Felt like I was running about with my bed still attached to my back.

1st I sent the crazy one to Singapore Expo for a little stint. But not before some nice bedroom exercises. Reached there too damn early, none of the eateries were opened yet, so I decided to head down to Bedok nearby for a quick one before sending her back there again, 25minutes to and fro, kopi, kaya bread, half-boiled egg.

Next, I went on down to Wisma to send the damn Sony NetMD for a checkup. Sony stuff use to be synonymous with quality. Well, not anymore. This damn thing costs me around 500 bucks, and its been nothing but pain for the past 2 years or so. I should have done my homework before I got this thing, what with all those ATRAC3 format nonsense, the klunky software, and the dodgy docking station. Why does Sony always come out with their own proprietary formats? Remember the doomed Betamax? It says it'll play mp3, but I only found out later that it only does so after the software has imported and converted them into its own atrac3 format. A waste of time and resources. They were not opened yet when I reached there, so I went over to Citibank to drop a cheque and walk around Taka and Wisma. There were so many schoolgirls in uniform walking around. Is that what they do these days? Go window shopping before heading for class?

Popped by the Hello shop for a looksee. Wow, the Samsung E800 looks good, tiny, handy, and is a dead ringer for a certain Siemens phone. Also saw the Motorola Razr V3, awesome! Too bad they locked it in the display case so I can't tell if it feels as good in my hands as the Samsung.

Back at Sony, the girl asked me if she should set the agreeable repair costs at a threshold of 160 bucks before having to call me. 160! Hell no! I thought at her. I'd rather spend a little more money to get a solid state memory player or something with expandable memory that plays real mp3 files plus many other formats superior to your bosses' damn atrac3. Of course, I politely declined, giving the very sweet girl an edited version of my thoughts. "Whatever the cost, please give me a call, can? Who knows, if it costs too much to fix it, I may consider getting another one of Sony's latest and bestest!", I patronizingly said. After a little bit more of chat and laugh with her, I decided to look around the shop and see what are Sony's latest and bestest.

SAB100, SAB200, SAB300, DAV-SR2... man! From around 500 SGD to a little above 1k, you get a DVD player with built-in decoder and amplifier, complete with 5 speakers and a subwoofer! Clean, simple, uncluttered. Suddenly my Kenwood separates look like pieces junks, a blast from the past, a monstrosity that appears in my worst nightmares. Damn it, I'm gonna get rid of the wood and get myself one of these shit.... wait ... didn't I just cursed and swear at them for a certain piece of junk? Oh but these fall into a different category, Kevin. No buggy software to deal with, no silly conversions and imports, plus they are value for money, for 1 grand you can't even get some cellphones, Kevin. Oh no, now I'm talking to myself.

Walked around abit at Tangs and Far East Plaza, before I headed down to Tan Tock Seng Hospital to pass some 5up3R K0Nf1d3N71AL documents to HR's Shanti. CH's future depends on it. Oh, there's this Smart Car I saw parked outside Tangs, really small and cute! But I still think the Daihatsu Copen is nicer.

Next up, lunch and papers at Burger King. This nice elderly lady at Far East handed me a flyer from BK, some Alaskan Wild Salmon Burger. Yeeee-ummy!

Megadeth has released what is supposedly their final album, The System Has Failed. Read an article about Mr.Megadeth himself, Dave Mustaine, the man who is forever angry. Have not been following the Heavy Metal scene enough lately to know that he had a severe nerve injury to his left hand. Doctors said he'll probably never be able to play guitar again. But look at what he's doing now.

Right. 2pm. Usually, at this time on my days off, I'd still be in bed. Now that I've had my lunch and read the papers, maybe I should go for a movie... carpe diem!

2 comments:

Miss B said...

Ah yes, SONY...tell me about it! I have 2 MDs of which none are functioning. And they used to be the coolest of cool! Thank God for iPod :)

veola said...

ooh yeah, talk about the iPod, its spreading like wild fire... kinda itching to get one too. Have you got yours?